Wednesday, November 05, 2008

It's been awhile since I entered one of the Etsy BeadWeavers challenges, and my entry into this one is a little out of the ordinary. The challenge theme, which was chosen by previous winner Deb (beadsandblooms.etsy.com), is Ancestral Expressions.

My challenge is that I really don't know much about my ancestry. No one in my family ever talked about ancestors arriving here on a boat, and no one ever even mentioned anything about ancestors from another country! I always had a suspicion that there might be some Native American ancestry, but I have no proof of it. That theory stemmed from seeing pictures of my great grandfather's family, all of whom were very dark complected, had those long stereotypical Indian noses, and had black hair. The surnames in my family didn't give me that many clues either -- Wilson, Sparks, Justice, James, Boggs. I only know that some of them are English and Scottish, but I didn't ever try to trace any of them. Maybe if I'd had children I'd have been more concerned with that, but since I've lopped off this branch of the family tree I just didn't ever pursue it.

So what does one create for a theme called Ancestral Expressions when one doesn't really have any idea about ancestry? My mind went to the purest form of ancestry -- DNA.

I'd been playing around with a design that had two ropes or ribbons twisting around each other, and that design was well suited to create the double helix form of DNA. Anyone looking at this might think I'm heavily into science, but that's not the case at all. Although I did well in school, science and biology were probably my least favorite subjects (I was a big fan of math and literature).

Today's the last day for members of Etsy BeadWeavers to list their entries into the Ancestral Expressions challenge, and voting will begin on the EBW blog on November 9. There are some other entries listed already, and I'm amazed at the amount of thought and talent that went into them. Click here to see the entries. And don't forget to visit the blog to vote in a few days! I'll bet you thought all the voting was finished, didn't you?

While you're visiting blogs, don't forget to check out the Bead Art Originals blog to see all the Items of the Week specials offered by our members. There are some incredible pieces included, and all sorts of great deals - just in time for your holiday shopping!

One last thing for today, November 5, 2008. BARACK WON!!! Hooray!!!!!!!!!!

5 comments:

Waterrose said...

Beautiful...love the colors and DNA!

Anna said...

That is some gorgeous DNA you have there Mary Lou! :)

I have an award for you at my blog...come see:
http://arosebyname.blogspot.com/2008/11/thank-you.html

SarahKelley said...

ML-- I passed on a Butterfly award for coolness in beauty to you, because you have one of the prettiest blogs I read:)

Melisa Sriwulandari said...

OMG, absolutely EVERYTHING you make is AMAZING!
I hope one day I can afford to buy one of your bracelets. It'll sit on a pedestal for me to admire everyday. It is waaay too expensive to wear daily. lol!

Just curious, is there any glow in the dark beads? A bracelet made from it would be definitely Fantastic!

Beaderjojo said...

Your DNA Cuff is so clever! Good luck in the challenge. =)