Friday, May 08, 2009

Inspired by Bead Artists

I don't make beads or cabochons myself, so I am completely in awe of the people who do. I have ideas for beads, but as is always the case there's just not enough time to execute all the ideas I have. So I satisfy myself by finding extraordinary beads created by bead artists, and then I try to do them justice in my beadwoven creations.

Two artists whose work I really admire are Dee Wilder (Malodora) and Lisa Peters (LisaPetersArt). I drool over their new pieces every time I see them on flickr or on Etsy, and despite the fact that I DO NOT NEED another bead, I can't resist adding to my collection. Not that they're the only artists whose beads I love, but theirs are the beads and cabs I've used most recently.

I finished and listed Kalliope a little more than a week ago using one of Dee's Natasha beads as the focal. The bead has shades of dark teal, pale mint green, a tiny bit of purple, and black; so I made four ndebele ropes using those colors and braided them (thanks to my grandfather for teaching me to four-braid) to create this asymmetrical necklace.


Just last night I finished a necklace, very different than anything I've created before, using one of Lisa Peters' gorgeous raku cabochons. Lisa's going to be exhibiting at the Bead and Button Show in Milwaukee at the end of this month (booth 1213), and she sent me two cabs so I could make something for her to use at the show to demonstrate how her pieces can be used. This is the first one I've completed, so now I'm under the gun to make something with the second cab. (At least I have an idea for what I'm going to do, even though I haven't picked up a bead yet!)

This piece (which is called Cybele, the name of the Phrygian goddess of fertility and nature, later worshipped by the Greeks and Romans) was great fun for me. I started out with a very different idea, but then I kept looking at the cab and seeing the earthy colors in it, so I decided to use some of the many pieces of driftwood I've collected from my walks on the Lake Michigan shores. (And my husband's happy that I'm finally using some of it.) I added a few coats of clear acrylic to seal the driftwood and make it shiny, and the addition of the acrylic brought out more of the wood's colors so it wound up matching the cab even more. I had the perfect bunch of beads to use -- metallic lined delicas in shades of olive and gold. Then it was just figuring out how to put it all together. I didn't want any one aspect to overpower, so I used varying widths of peyote strips to hold it all together. The back of the cab is covered with a piece of really soft brown leather.

I actually get to go to the B&B show this year, so I'll get to see how Lisa exhibits this. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be walking away from her booth with a melted credit card and a really heavy box...


You can see more pictures of this piece in my flickr photostream. And you can see more of Lisa's work in her photostream.

12 comments:

Artisan Clay said...

Wow! I love them both! And I think you may know that I love both beads artists as well!

The beads and the jewelry making fit perfectly!

Theresa said...

WOW..umm did I say WOW!! Stunning pieces, I'm so in awe of your work.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that blue one is especially stunning. I've never seen anything quite like it. And the closure is ingenious. Lovely work!

Enchanted Beads said...

I love both pieces, the way you designed the whole. The second one is a piece of art, very original!

Marlaine said...

Both pieces are beautiful but I like Cybele best. Love the pieces of wood in it! Probably because I beachcomb and have quite a collection myself!

Dogmaw said...

Absolutely stunning work! And take it from me, you can never have too many beads. :)

Anna said...

Mary Lou, they are gorgeous! The driftwood adds just the right touch giving the piece that additional earthiness. The blue piece is beautiful and a great way to show off that bead!

Sarah said...

Hi Mary Lou,

I know that this isn't exactly a comment, but I couldn't find your e-mail address, and I wanted to write and tell you about a new website for artists, musicians, fashion designers, and filmmakers: www.PutItOn.com. I've been using the site as an artist and have my work there, and am trying to support it because I believe in it. Basically, the site allows artists from all over the world to connect, display their portfolios, and sell their work (with NO commission taken!). The site gives artists a FREE gigabyte of space to showcase their portfolios, allows you to stream audio and video works, lets you create live personal broadcasts, and translates any writing into ten different languages. If you could take the time to visit the site, and if you like it too, let your readers know about it, and even sign up yourself or link to it on your site it would be greatly appreciated! We are trying to make a go of helping out artists everywhere and are trying to get the word out, so please help us out if you like the site after checking it out! Thank you!

All the best,
Sarah at PutItOn.com

l said...

Beautiful work!!!

GraceBeading said...

*Sigh* Sooo pretty - both pieces are stunning.

I'm envious that you're going to the show - some day, I hope. Have a blast!

MO said...

They are beautiful!!! I've tagged you :) Check out my blog to see the post.

Miriam

storybeader said...

very unusual! I have to look at these close up!