Sunday, April 27, 2008

Rocks. I love rocks. Ever since I was a child, I've loved searching for rocks. When I was little, I would crouch down next to our gravel driveway for hours on end and hunt for the prettiest rocks. Whenever I found a good one, I stuffed it into my pocket and took my newfound treasure into the house. Unbeknownst to me, my Mom was retrieving my treasures from my pockets when laundry day came around and returning them to the driveway. I probably found some of those pretty rocks several times...

Now, many years later, my quest for pretty rocks continues. Just yesterday, I visited a beach on Long Island and found myself in Rock Heaven. After only a couple of hours of hunting, I came away with a gallon-sized ziploc bag filled with beautiful rocks. Anyone else would be satisfied with this haul, but I'd happily go back to that same beach to continue the search.

That picture doesn't do justice to the beauty of these rocks. There are some of the brightest white quartz stones in here, and they're perfectly shaped by having been tossed in the sand for years on end. There are also a few pieces of beach glass in there, but it's mostly rocks. How could I possibly leave those beautiful rocks just lying there in the sand?!?!

So today, having sat and stared at this bag filled with beauty, I decided to try my hand at beading around one of the prettier white ones. This is my first attempt at this type of beading, and I'm pretty happy with the result. After I finished beading around the stone, I used some of the same beads to create the netted necklace. These are going to keep me busy for a looooooooooooooong time!


6 comments:

Melody Marie Murray said...

wow, that is absolutely stunning. I love it!

Dawn N said...

It's beautiful. The center accent is perfect.

Unknown said...

I love rocks, I love what you did with the rock, i love the cubes decorating it and i love the chain, it's all so beautiful... gorgeous!!!! i can't believe it's your first time beading round a rock!!! GREAT job!!!

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

You're dangerous! :D (simply beautiful)

Waterrose said...

Oh, I love collecting rocks too. We go off-roading and I always come back with about 5 pounds of rocks...

You have turned beautiful into to stunning!

Marlaine said...

It's a beauty!