Friday, April 30, 2010

Fabulous Friday Finds for April 30

Wow. It's the end of April already. That sure went fast. One third of 2010 has passed!

I'm a little late in posting my Fabulous Friday Finds for this week, but it's still Friday, so here goes:

Fabulous Friday Find #1 is a website I can't read! Maria Wojtiuk has such a sense of humor that I don't need to read Polish to have a good time looking at all her creations.

Click here to visit her gallery. It's easy to navigate once you're there, and it's well worth your time to click on the images and view them larger so you can see more of the detail. And what detail! Just look at those faces in the picture to the left! Don't they just make you want to hop in your car and go on vacation with them? (Well, okay, maybe not - but they are fun!)

Maria also has an Etsy shop, where you can see some of her oil paintings and more of her ceramics.

I did notice one thing as I was looking at all her art... I think all of her cats are happy!

:-)










The second Fabulous Friday Find are the art dolls known as Mrs. T. Bagg, the creations of Rose Farnsworth Davis.

Rose creates these little dolls (well, parts of dolls, since they don't really have bodies) to fit into teacups. I don't think it matters that they don't have arms and legs to get around... their little faces are so adorable!

I swear I've seen little old ladies like this walking down the street, sitting in restaurants (sipping their tea, of course). The years of wisdom show up as lines in their little faces, and they all have the slightest hint of a smile.

The one pictured here is Lucile. In a red hat. I love that she's in a red hat. :-)

You can see more of Rose's Mrs. T. Bagg dolls in her Etsy shop and on her blog.

My husband will tell you that I'm notorious for "finding" things. Stones, sticks, bits of wood, oddly shaped and deformed pieces of metal... I have a whole collection of them, knowing that someday I'll do something with them. I don't know quite what. But something.

My third Fabulous Friday Find is an artist named Cathy Rose, an artist who has used a whole collection of "found" objects, combining them with porcelain, wood, and metal to create works of art that draw you in and make you feel what the subjects are feeling.

The picture here is a sculpture called Wind. Can't you just feel the wind blowing through your hair as you look at this? The horses' faces, even though they don't have much detail, are perfect in their own right.

You can see her other works on her website, Cathy Rose. I'd love to be able to see these in person. From every angle. Alas, I checked the show schedule, and there's nothing close to me. Maybe someday she'll visit North Carolina. :-)

I'm drawn to little teeny tiny things, and that's what made me immediately add this Little Blue Butterfly Cottage to my favorites on Etsy.

This little cottage, and all the other wonderful little miniature habitats, houses, and terrariums, was made by Jessica from little bits of moss, stones, twigs and tendrils, and a bit of polymer clay. And a LOT of whimsy.

Jessica's Etsy shop is called BettysFanstasy, named after her Grandmother, who is her inspiration for all things good.

Her profile says it all:
Betty's Fantasy is a place where fairies fly and innocence rules over all. A place where you can be yourself and embrace your imagination.


Another piece which immediately made it into my favorites list is the last Fabulous Friday Find for this last day in April.

It's the Mad Hatter.

Specifically, a wonderfully sculpted Mad Hatter ala Tim Burton / Johnny Depp. The outlandish outfit, the red hair, and of course, the HAT.

Of all the Alice characters, the Hatter is my favorite. I know he's crazy. Maybe that's why he appeals.

This doll, the creation of William Bezek, is amazing. You can see more of William's work in his Etsy shop, WormwoodHollow.

And even more on his blog. Where he appears to be freaked out by the blooming azaleas.

:-)

And now it's time for me to do a little beading. I have two bead crochet ropes to finish, a peyote cuff to finish, a new square stitch bracelet to photograph and list on Etsy, and beads to track down for a special order.

Hoe you enjoy my Fabulous Friday Finds. :-)

3 comments:

AWJ said...

I look forward to your Friday Finds. And now William Bezek has a new follower! :)

Kristin said...

Those pieces are stunning.. I do especially love the lady in the red hat!! :)

3 Peeps Designs said...

I really enjoy your Friday Finds. Perhaps one day you should open a real gallery. You have a great eye for finding those cool and unique pieces.... They all seem to have a story.