Thursday, May 27, 2010

From There to Here

I can hardly believe it, but I finished the bead crochet rope I started yesterday! From there to here in lots and lots and lots of easy steps. :-)

It was simple, really.

Or maybe not.

I guess it all comes down to your point of view.

After numerous conversations with the customer to determine what she wanted, the process began with the sorting of beads. Since the size 8/0 picasso beads I was using were a mix, I had to remove three of the colors from the mix, leaving me with six colors for the rope
: black, royal, teal, dark red, olive, and honey. The length of the rope was determined (45"), and the request was to use all the colors throughout the rope, but to have the dark colors "fade" to light and then back again to dark. That meant coming up with custom blends of the two sets of colors. Lots of counting. And then lots of stringing, as you can see from yesterday's post with the picture of the strung beads.

And so begins the process of crocheting. One initial row of six slip stitch with a bead in each stitch, join the ends, and then...
1 - Insert hook under the thread to the left of the first bead.
2 - Slide down a bead from the strand of strung beads.
3 - Yarn over (or in this case, thread over).
4 - Pull hook through, making another slip stitch with the newly added bead in place.

Repeat THREE THOUSAND FOUR HUNDRED SEVENTEEN TIMES.

Voila!



The last step to be completed is the join, seamlessly attaching the ends of the rope to make a loop.

And now I think it's time to do some peyote stitch!
:-)

3 comments:

M.J. Mullins said...

Whew! Nice work!!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

45"! Your work is beautiful. Is this necklace heavy?

storybeader said...

I love beaded rope! It's beautiful! Great colors! {:-D