Thursday, January 21, 2010

Free to Be...

It's been a long time since I did any freeform. Whenever I go back to do it, I wonder why there are such long lapses in between freeform pieces. But I guess that just fits in with the way I do everything. My gnat-like attention span makes me move from project to project, and sometimes from technique to technique, at the drop of a hat. There are just so many FUN things to do and not nearly enough hours in the day! Peyote, freeform, ndebele ropes, bead crochet... and that doesn't even take into consideration my wanting to learn new techniques and new art forms (polymer clay, ceramic/porcelain, etc., etc., etc.).

Well, the freeform bug finally landed long enough for me to finish a new and VERY colorful cuff. I didn't intend to do anything freeform, but I was digging through some "bead soup" looking for beads of a particular color and decided that I needed to use some of the soup.

So here's Free to Be. Free to be what? Well, I guess that's up to the wearer to decide. I almost named this one "Fly, Be Free" because I kept thinking about Robin Williams throwing an egg into the air and telling it, "fly, be free" back when he was Mork from Ork. I like the Free to Be name though.



While I'm thinking of it, I should give credit to the maker of that lampwork disc I used as the closure (isn't it perfect?!?!). It was made by MaryAnn of LindenAvenueDesigns. She has LOADS of great discs in her Etsy shop, just in case you're looking for such things. They're fun.

Time to put the bead soup away (yes, it's still sprawled all over my beading board) and start on a new project. Or maybe I'll work on getting another pattern ready.

In case you're looking for peyote cuff patterns, I now have 20 of them in my Etsy shop! I just released the pattern for Daisies yesterday. You can find all of the patterns I've published so far by clicking here.

A couple of people who've purchased patterns from me have posted pictures to my Facebook fan page. Yay! I love seeing what others do with my designs!! Keep 'em coming.
:-)






One last thing before I sign off and get back to beading... I'm still donating 1/2 of the sale price for every pattern sold toward the fund raising effort for Tanya Boden (aka AardvarkSilver), to help cover the cost of the surgery she needs to have in the very near future. So if you've been ogling any of my patterns, now's the time to grab one!

2 comments:

storybeader said...

it's very pretty! something to put on when you just can't find the right thing... or if you're dressed in neutrals. Good way to use up beads too. I think I would develop headaches if I had to be counting itsy-bitsy beads all the time!

Kristin said...

What a beautiful piece!