Thursday, June 26, 2008


Do you remember the songs your mother sang to you when you were a child? My Mother, who was the most important influence in my life in more ways than I can count, had a beautiful alto singing voice (among many other talents) and often sang to me and when she was working around the house. She also whistled beautifully, but it's the songs I remember most. Oh, not for the reasons you're probably thinking. It wasn't that they were sentimental or particularly beautiful or anything like that. The ones I remember the best were absolutely hilarious. I can remember pleading with her to sing them to me, and she usually obliged.

I've had little snippets of some of the songs going through my head for years, but I never knew the origins of them. Obviously, there was no Google way back then, and since I never saw her reading from any book I thought she made them up.

So anyway... On a recent trip to Long Island, my husband and I were being silly one day while we were riding around with the friends we had gone to visit. Our friends are pretty goofy, too, so there was lots of laughter in the vehicle. We were singing songs like "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt" and a few others I can't remember; and I threw in one of my favorites from my Mother. I couldn't quite remember all the words, although I managed most of them (no mean feat, since I hadn't heard this song for more than 30 years). After I returned home, I decided to Google some of the words, and I FOUND THE SONGS!!!

You just can't believe how excited I was when I not only found the song lyrics but found someone singing them. It's not my Mom, obviously, but the fact that I can now sing these songs in their entirety makes me feel a bit closer to her.

You see, my Mom died 20 years ago when she was the age I am now. She was too young to die, and I miss her every single day. Everything I do, everything I create, is credited to her because of the things she taught me when I was young and the way she lived her life. I couldn't have asked for a better Mother. She was smart, pretty, and funny; and she loved me unconditionally. I think I knew that from the minute I was born. I'm thankful for the time I had with her.

So these songs... I told you she was funny. You'll see what I mean if you watch these videos. These are the two songs I remember her singing to me. They still crack me up.

The first... The Hunting Song



Is it any wonder I thought my Mom was funny? Here's the second song... I Hold Your Hand in Mine



7 comments:

Melody Marie Murray said...

Hilarious songs. And your mom was beautiful, such a lovely photo. Thank you for sharing your sweet funny memories.

Anna said...

What beautiful memories! Your mom and my mom probably would have gotten along great. My mom was also an wonderfully talented singer. (With her it was the songs of Roger Miller...a very funny guy!) She was also and still is the inspiration behind my creativity. Sadly, she was taken way too young as well! It's nice to know that I'm not the only one with these wonderful memories of a loving and talented mother.

:-) MaryLou said...

My Mother loved Roger Miller! She used to listen to his albums, and I can still remember singing "you can't roller skate in a buffalo herd" with her, both of us belting it out at the tops of our lungs. :-)

Angela said...

What wonderful memories. Thank you for sharing them:)

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

What wonderful tribute to your mother, MaryLou. It's easy to see where you got your spirit, my friend :D

GrandmaMarilyn said...

Wondeful tribute to your mom. Mine died 7 years ago and I miss our time together when we do our crafts.

Kerrie Slade said...

Such a wonderful tribute MaryLou - thankyou for sharing that with us :)