Friday, March 05, 2010

Fabulous Friday Finds

I can hardly believe it's Friday again! This week's Fabulous Friday Finds are an assortment of goodies and good deals (at least I think they're good deals). :-)

The first Friday find is actually one I meant to post last week, but somehow it slipped away from me. I happened across the Yellow House gallery while I was looking at some polymer clay creations posted by one of my Facebook friends, and I was blown away by these beads!

The picture to the left is one of my favorites, but if you click here you can see an entire gallery of polymer clay beauty.

Yellow House Designs is the creative outlet for Julie Picarello, whose work has been featured in Beadwork, Bead Unique, and Bead and Button magazines.








My second Fabulous Friday Find is one that should be in here every Friday: the Bead Art Originals Items of the Week.

Every week members of this team of Etsy bead artisans choose items to be featured in the BAO Blog. The creations are as varied as the members: lampwork beads, polymer clay beads and focals, raku beads, ceramic beads, and beadweaving.

This week there are 12 members participating, with all sorts of deals (and I have to promote my own special here... 28% off everything in my Etsy shop, through the end of this month!).

The Etsy shops whose curators are participating this week are: dumauvobleu, SmadarsTreasure, MAKUstudio, arosebyname, triz, LisaPetersArt, SalamanderHouse, DawnChastain, CieloDesign, Malodora, time2cre8 (me!), and SandFibers

Visit the BAO Blog every Friday to see the new items of the week. You're sure to find something wonderful!












If you're a beader, you've probably heard of Artbeads.com. They have all sorts of beady goodness, and their prices are pretty good.

Well, right now they're having a March Madness Dollar Days Sale, with more than 2000 items marked down to only $1. The sale ends at 9:00pm PST on March 11, so shop fast!


My next Fabulous Friday Find is an incredible piece of artwork created by an Etsy friend of mine, Joe Bagley. Joe creates some of the most intricately detailed paper cuts you've ever seen, and he sells them in his Etsy shop called papercutsbyjoe (hmmm, wonder how he came up with that).

Joe has a quirky sense of humor, as is evident from some of his listings (come on, a neck piece made from paper???). He also has a HUGE talent for turning a photo into an amazing piece of art.

See that picture to the right? Looks pretty cool as a picture, doesn't it? Now think about how incredible it is when you realize that it's CUT FROM PAPER!!! Thousands of tiny cuts, using teeny tiny little blades, and every cut done by hand. Click here to see some closeups.

Wow. Just wow.


I think that's it for this week. Time for me to get back to beadweaving. I need to finish a necklace I started a few days ago, using a technique I had never tried before - right angle weave (aka RAW). I used one of Lisa Peters' gorgeous cabochons and created a bezel using this technique, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it. I know other people who have struggled with RAW, but since I'm pretty left brained it just seemed intuitive to me. I'm going to have to play with this some more... :-)

As always, if you have any Fabulous Friday Finds of your own, feel free to leave a comment with a link or even do your own blog post! Happy Friday!

2 comments:

Rose Clearfield said...

I can't believe that you'd never tried RAW before! It's definitely one of my favorite techniques.

Joe the papercutter said...

hey, thanks for the awesome feature!